Department of Surgery
|Executive Vice President for Clinical Affairs - UTHealth||Professor of Surgery at Uniformed Services
University of the Health Sciences
Bethesda, Maryland, 1983 - Present
|Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs
UTHealth Medical School
|President and Chief Executive Officer
University of Texas Physicians
| Denton A. Cooley, M.D., Chair in Surgery
Jack H. Mayfield, M.D. Distinguished University Chair
C.R. Bard, Inc./Edward J. McGuire, M.D. Distinguished Chair in Urology
Professor and Chairman - Department of Surgery
UTHealth Medical School
Memorial Hermann - TMC
1968 Virginia Military Institute, Bachelor of Science
1972 Medical College of Virginia, M.D.
1981-83 University of Southern Mississippi, Master Program in Adult Education
1972 Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, Internship
1973-1977 Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, Resident in Surgery
1976-1977 Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas, Chief Resident in Surgery
1977-1980 Children's Hospital - University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, Fellow and Resident in Pediatric Surgery
1979-1980 Children's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, Fellow in Pediatric Surgical Oncology
1964-1968 Virginia Military Institute
May, 1968 Commissioned Second Lieutenant, USAF
1969 First Lieutenant, USAF
1971 Captain, USAF, Medical Corps
1975 Major, USAF, Medical Corps
1978 Lieutenant Colonel, USAF, Medical Corps
1983 Colonel, USAF, Medical Corps
May, 1983 Honorable Discharge - relinquished commission voluntarily
LAST MILITARY APPOINTMENT
1980-1983 Chief of General and Pediatric Surgery,
Program Director General Surgery Residency,
Keesler Air Force Base Medical Center
PAST ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
1996 Interim Chairman - Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
1985-1995 Professor of Surgery
Division Director - Pediatric Surgery
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
1983-1985 Associate Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics
The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas
Chief of Pediatric Surgery
The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas
1981-Present Consultant in Surgery to the Surgeon General
1977-1980 Instructor in Surgery
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
1980 Chief General and Pediatric Surgery
Keesler USAF Medical Center
1995 - present Surgeon-In-Chief
Memorial Hermann Hospital
1985 - 1995 Pediatric Surgeon-In-Chief
Hermann Children's Hospital
1985 - present Chief, Pediatric Surgery
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
1990-present Attending Staff
LBJ General Hospital
Texas Children's Hospital
St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital
Park Plaza Hospital
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Board of Trustees - Norman Family Charitable Foundation
Board of Directors - Group Practice Governing Committee - University of Texas-Houston Medical School – (Chairman)
Board of Directors – Memorial Hermann Health Net Providers
Chairman - Council of Surgical Chairman - University of Texas-Houston Medical School
Medical Advisory Board, Trauma Research Center Grant, University of Texas-Houston Medical School
Medical Board of Trustees, Medical Technology Corporation, Louisville, Kentucky
Board of Directors, National Childhood Cancer Foundation
Board of Directors, Affiliated Medical Services, Houston, TX
Board of Directors, University of Texas Physicians
Board of Directors, Medical Service Research and Development Plan
February, 1978 General Surgery
October, 1999 Recertification
May, 1982 Pediatric Surgery
October, 1989 Recertification
October, 2001 Recertification
American College of Surgeons
2000 – 2006 Governor
2001 - 2004 Advisory Council for Pediatric Surgery
American Academy of Pediatrics - Surgical Section
1997- present Executive Committee
Specialty Society Representative-Advisory
2001- present Council of Pediatric Surgery
2002 Chairman Elect
American Pediatric Surgical Association
1986-1991 Publication Committee
1991-1999 Cancer Committee
2000-2003 Program Committee
1989 Trauma Committe
American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
1989-1991 Chairman - Pediatric Section
1989-1991 Abstract Committee
Research and Data Committee
Board of Directors for the National Childhood Cancer Foundation - Arcadia, CA
CCSG - Surgical Section Member
New Agents Committee Member
Local Tumor Control Committee
CCG-631 Committee - IRS III
CCG-671 Committee - IRS IV, Group III Pilot
CCG-6002 Committee - Auto BMT B Advanced Rhabdomyosarcoma
Supportive Care Committee - CCSG
CCG-6881 Committee - IRS IV, Group IV Pilot
Children's Oncology Group
Soft Tissue Sarcoma Disease Committee
Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study
International Society of Surgery, 1987
Nutrition - Medical Advisory Board
American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
American College Nutrition
American College of Physician Executives, 1996
American College of Surgeons
2002-2005 Governors Committee on Chapter Activities
2002-2005 Governors Committee on Membership and Diversity
American College of Surgeons, South Texas Chapter
American Society of Nutritional Support Services
American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
American Surgical Society 1993 - present
American Trauma Society
Association of Academic Surgeons, 1975 - present
Association Military Surgeons United States, 1976-present
Aust Society Associate Member, 1983 - present
Board of Directors - Houston Chapter of ASPEN
Certified Instructor, Advanced Burn Life Support, Course, 1990
Certified Instructor, Advanced Trauma Life Support Course, 1980 (Recertified 2002)
Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1981 - present
Executive Committee-Surgical Section, 1997-present
Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 1983 - present
Fellow, American Pediatric Surgical Association, 1983-present
1989-1991 Chairman, Publications Committee
1991-1999 Cancer Committee
1989 Trauma Committee
Harris County Hospital District Medical and Dental Staff District
1992 Clinical Nutrition Committee
1992 Supportive Care Committee
Houston Area Healthcare Advisory Board, 1993-present
Houston Gastroenterological Society
Houston Pediatric Society, 1985-present
Houston Surgical Society, 1988-present
International Society of Surgery
Medical Group Management Association
Medical Advisory Council of the Nutrition Institute of Louisiana
National AIDS and Nutrition Task Force, 1988-present
Society of Air Force Clinical Surgeons, 1972-present
Society of Critical Care Medicine
Society of University Surgeons, 1985-present
Southern Surgical Association, 1996-present
Southwestern Surgical Association, 1977-present
Surgical Infection Society, 1986-present
Texas Medical Association, 1983-present
Texas Pediatric Society, 1986-present
Texas Surgical Society, 1990
Texas Society of Pediatric Surgeons, 1983
Western Trauma Association
HONORS AND AWARDS
American College of Surgeons, Southwest Texas Chapter - Best Paper, January, 1977
American Medical Association Hektoen Silver Medal, 1978
Los Angeles Surgical Society - Best Paper, November 1978
Surgeon General's Award - Best Paper, April, 1979
American Medical Association Physicians Recognition Award
Magnolia Award, Mississippi Dietetic Association, 1982
Meritorious Service Medal, April 1983 (USAF)
Harriet Cunningham Award Scientific Writing, 1984
Best Teacher in Surgery Award UTHSCH – 1987
Best Teacher in Surgery Award UTHSCH - 1988
Dean's Teaching Excellence Award 1988-1989
Best Teacher Award UTHSCH - 1989-1990
Dean's Teaching Excellence Award - 1990, 1998, 1999
Editorial Board - Annals of Surgical Oncology
Associate Editor - Journal Pediatric Surgery, 1977 - 1984
Abstractor - SGO and Journal Pediatric Surgery, 1975–Present
Reviewer - Clinical Pediatrics - Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, 1978- Present
Editorial Consultant - Journal Pediatric Surgery, 1983–Present
Publications Committee - American Pediatric Pediatric Surgical Association (Chairman)
Reviewer - Journal of American College of Nutrition
Reviewer - Nutrition in Clinical Practice
Guest Editor - Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 1991
Editorial Board - Journal of Critical Care Nutrition
Guest Editor - Breast Diseases Quarterly
Service on State of Texas Committees
Consultant – Texas State Board of Medical Examiners
Service on University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Committees
University of Texas Houston Medical School Faculty Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee
Assistant Director - Surgery Residency Program
Pediatric Mortality Committee
Nutrition Support Team - Co-Chairman
Executive Committee - Department of Surgery
Utilization Review Committee
Student Evaluation and Promotion Committee, 1988
Committee on Graduate Medical Education
University of Texas Committee on Committees
Search Committee - Anesthesia Chairman
Search Committee - Pediatric Chairman
Administrative Council - UT
MSRDP Managed Care Committee
MSRDP Hospital Relations Board
MSRDP Board of Directors - President Elect
Dean’s AdHoc Planning and Budget Committee, 1995
Dean’s Budget and Compensation Committee
Chair, Search Committee - Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine
Chair - Council of Surgical Chairmen
Chair - Search Committee - Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Executive Committee – Memorial Hermann
Pediatric ICU Committee
Hospital Credentials Committee
Nominating Committee - Hermann Hospital
Board of Trustees OneCare
Clinical Council - Hermann Hospital
Joint Operating Board, Hermann Hospital
Medical Board, Hermann Hospital
Quality Assurance Review Committee - Hermann Hospital
Clinical Trial of High-Caloric Density Formula, $25,000
1982 Norwich-Eaton Pharmaceuticals
Clinical Comparison of Amino Acids vs. Peptides, $36,000
1983 Norwich-Eaton Pharmaceuticals
Clinical Trial Branch-Chain Amino Acid Enteral Diet, $38,000
1983 Norwich-Eaton Pharmaceuticals
Clinical Comparison of Two Branch-Chain Amino Acids Formulas, $24,000
1983 Institutional Review Grant, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas
1983 Nutritional Assessment and Protein Status of the Multiply Injured Pediatric Patient
1984 Ross Laboratories
Comparison of Osmolite HN vs. Vivonex TEN, $30,000
Clinical Research Grant
1984 Norwich-Eaton Pharmaceuticals
Clinical Trial Liquid Diets
1986 Norwich-Eaton Pharmaceuticals
TPN vs. TEN, $38,000
1986 Norwich-Eaton Pharmaceuticals
Postoperative Pain Relief, $60,000
10/1988 - 9/1989 National Institute of Health
Project Number: 2 S07 RR05745-14
Division of Research Resources
The Effects of Growth Factors on Wound Healing in Experimentally Induced Diabetes Mellitus
Wound Healing Research, $3,300
1999-2002 National Institutes of Health
Co-investigator - NCI Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma. Refunded 1999-2002
SPONSORSHIP OF POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS
1984-1985 Dale Kester, M.D.
1986 Steven Dierks, M.D.
1989-1990 Jason Nirgiotis, M.D.
1990-1991 Dinu Mistry, M.D.
1990-1991 Eric Levy, M.D.
1990-1992 Hiroshi Takahashi, M.D.
1991-1995 Ha-sen Zue, M.D.
1991-1992 Scott Covington, M.D.
1991-1993 Mark Smith, M.D.
1992-1993 John LoMonaco, M.D.
1993-1995 Cindy Corpron, M.D.
1993-1995 Jeff Horwitz, M.D.
1994-1995 Mike Hueneke, M.D.
1994-1995 Sami Sukar, M.D.
1998-1999 Holly Neville, M.D.
1999-2000 Billy Gill, M.D.
2000-2001 Marian Von-Maszewski, M.D.
REFEREED JOURNALS ABSTRACTS CHAPTERS BOOKS
- Andrassy RJ, Haff RC, Capps WF. Acute appendicitis in the first 60 months of life. Mil Med 140:538-539, 1975.
- Andrassy RJ, Haff RC, Lobritz RW. Liver failure after the jejunoileal shunt. Arch Surg 110:332-334, 1975.
- Andrassy RJ, Hagood CO. Leonardo da Vinci: Anatomist and medical illustrator. South Med J 69:787-788, 1976.
- Haff RC, Andrassy RJ, LeGrand DG, Ratner IA. Gallbladder disease in the young male. Amer J Surg 131:232, 1976.
- Andrassy RJ, Newborne EG, McGovern JB, Buckley CJ. Localization of peripheral catheter emboli with xeroradiography. Surgery 79:340, 1976.
- Treadwell TA, Andrassy RJ, Ratner IA. Spermatic cord torsion in the newborn. Tex Med 72:43-47, 1976.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ, Buckley CJ, Larson GL. Pyloric stenosis: a 13 year experience in operative management. Amer Surg 42:551, 1976.
- Andrassy RJ, Treadwell TA, Ratner IA, Buckley CJ. Gallbladder disease in childhood and adolescents. Amer J Surg 132:19-21, 1976.
- Eisenberg BW, Andrassy RJ, Haff RC, Ratner IA. Splenectomy in children: a correlative review of indications and complications in fifty patients. Amer J Surg 132:720-722, 1976.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ, Alexander JA, Stanford W. Doppler ultrasonic flow detection as an adjunct in the diagnosis of patent ductus arteriosus in premature infants. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 72:288-290, 1976.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ, Buckley CJ, Stoner DL, Norman WL. A variable speed pump head control for autotransfusion. Proceedings of the 19th Annual Conference on Engineering in Medicine and Biology. 18:394, 1976.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ. Tubes, drains, and "things". Part I. The New Physician 25:48, 1976.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ. Tubes, drains, and "things". Part II. The New Physician 25:46, 1976.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ. Tubes, drains, and "things". Part III. The New Physician 26:56:, 1977.
- Andrassy RJ, Haff RC, Larsen GL. Infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis during the first week of life. Clin Pediatr 16:475-476, 1977.
- Andrassy RJ, Page CP, Ryan JA, Feldtman RW, Haff RC. Catheter infusion of elemental diet in a psychogenic eating disorder: a case report. Resident and Staff Physician 23:125-130, 1977.
- Andrassy RJ, Feldtman RW, Page CP, Ryan JA, Haff RC, Ratner IA. Continual catheter administration of an elemental diet in infants and children. Surgery 82:205-210, 1977.
- Andrassy RJ, Haff RC. Laparotomy for staging of Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Surg Gynecol Obstet 144:208-210, 1977.
- Andrassy RJ, Feldtman RW, Stanford WB. Bronchial carcinoid tumors in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Surg 12:513-517, 1977.
- LaSalle AJ, Andrassy RJ, Stanford WB. Bronchogenic squamous cell carcinoma in childhood: a case report. J Pediatr Surg 12:519-521, 1977.
- Andrassy RJ, Hagood CO. Amos Pollard: Chief Surgeon of the Alamo. Surg Gynecol Obstet 145:913-915, 1977.
- Haff RC, Page CP, Andrassy RJ, Buckley CJ. Splenectomy: its place in operations for inflammatory disease of the pancreas. Amer J Surg 134:555-556, 1977.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ. Meeting exceptional nutritional needs I. Total parenteral nutrition. Postgrad Med 64:64-77, 1978.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ. Meeting exceptional nutritional needs II. Elemental alimentation. Postgrad Med 64:65-73(3), 1978.
- Andrassy RJ, Haff RC, Hagood CO, Brown R, Buckley CJ. The effect of renoportal venous shunts on growth and hepatic function in the dog. J Surg Res 25:420-423, 1978.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ. Total colon aganglionosis associated with prune-belly syndrome - a case report. J Pediatr Surg 13:780, 1978.
- Andrassy RJ, Woolley MM. Progress in the use of elemental diets in infants and children. Surg Gynecol Obstet 147:701-704, 1978.
- Mishalany HG, Mahour GH, Andrassy RJ, Harrison MR, Woolley MM. Modalities of preservation of the traumatized spleen. Am J Surg 136:697-700, 1978.
- Andrassy RJ. Pediatric nutrition: alternatives to central venous cannulation. Contemp Surg 14:23-27, 1979.
- Andrassy RJ, Murthy S, Woolley MM. Aarskog syndrome: significance for the surgeon. J Pediatr Surg 14:462-464, 1979.
- Andrassy RJ, Mahour GH. Gastrointestinal anomalies associated with esophageal atresia or tracheoesophageal fistula. Arch Surg 114:1125-1128, 1979.
- Andrassy RJ, Mahour GH, Harrison MR, Muenchow SK, Mishalany HG, Woolley MM. The role and safety of early postoperative feeding in the pediatric surgical patient. J Pediatr Surg 14:381-385, 1979.
- LaSalle AJ, Versteeg K, Andrassy RJ, Ratner I. Congenital tracheoesophageal fistula without esophageal atresia. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 78:583-388, 1979.
- Andrassy RJ, Ko P, Hanson BA, Kubota E, Hays DM, Mahour GH. Congenital tracheoesophageal fistula without esophageal atresia: a 22 year experience. Am J Surg 140:731-733, 1980.
- Andrassy RJ, Weitzman JJ, Brennan LP. Operative technique for the correction of congenital obstruction of the duodenum in the neonate. Surg Gynecol Obstet 150:247-248, 1980.
- Page CP, Carlton PK, Andrassy RJ, Feldtman RW, Ryan JA. Safety for operative needle-catheter gastrointestinal intubation for the administration of chemically-defined diet. JPEN 2(3):8, July 1978.
- Andrassy RJ, Brennan LP, Weitzman JJ. Retrograde esophageal dilatation: a simplified technique for string placement. Surg Gynecol Obstet 150:571, 1980.
- Page CP, Carlton PL, Andrassy RJ, Feldtman RW. Safe, cost-effective postoperative nutrition: defined formula diet via needle-catheter jejunostomy. Am J Surg 138:939-945, 1979.
- Siegel MM, Siegel SE, Andrassy RJ, Weitzman JJ, Brennan LP. Primary chemotherapeutic management of metastatic and unresectable hepatoblastoma of childhood. Cancer Res submitted at American Society of Clinical Oncology Meeting, May 14-15, 1979.
- Andrassy RJ, Woolley MM. Defined formula diet for the pediatric-surgical patient. Compr Ther 5:12, 48-53, 1979.
- Page CP, Carlton PK, Andrassy RJ, et al. The safety of needle catheter jejunostomy for administration of defined formula diet. Acta Chir Scand 494:233-235, 1979.
- Nishibayashi S, Andrassy RJ, Woolley MM. Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation. Clin Pediatr 18:760-761, 1979.
- Feldtman RW, Andrassy RJ, Page CP. Providone iodine skin sensitivity observed with possibly altered immune status. JAMA 242:239, 1979.
- LaSalle AJ, Andrassy RJ, Page CP, Henry DA, Buckley CJ. Intussusception of the appendiceal stump: a case report and review of the literature. Clin Pediatr 19(6):432-435, 1980.
- Andrassy RJ, Buckingham BR, Weitzman JJ. Thyroidectomy or hyperthyroidism in children. J Pediatr Surg 15:501-504, 1980.
- Andrassy RJ, Brennan LP, Siegel MM, Weitzman JJ, Siegel SE, Stanley P, Mahour GH. Preoperative chemotherapy for hepatoblastoma in children: report of six cases. J Pediatr Surg 15:517-522, 1980.
- Nishibayashi SW, Andrassy RJ, Woolley MM. Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation -- a thirty year experience. J Pediatri Surg 16:704-706, 1981.
- Pereyra R, Andrassy RJ, Mahour GH. Central venous cannulation in neonates. Surg Gynecol Obstet 151:253-254, 1980.
- Andrassy RJ, Mahour GH, Issacs H, Ryan R. Effect of enteral calorie/nitrogen ratios on weight gain and liver function and morphology in rats. Am Surg 47:368-372, 1981.
- Andrassy RJ, Mahour GH. Malrotation of the midgut in infants and children: a 25-year review. Arch Surg 116:158-160, 1981.
- Ennis CE, Andrassy RJ. Nutritional management of the surgical patient. AORN Journal 31:1217-1224, 1980.
- Merritt RJ, Andrassy RJ, Hays DM, et al. Use of Hickman right atrial catheter in pediatric oncology patients. JPEN 5:83-85, 1981.
- Powers RJ, Andrassy RJ, Brennon LP, Weitzman JJ. Alternate approach to the management of acute perforating appendicitis in patients. Surg Gynecol Obstet 152:473-475, 1981.
- Teramoto R, Andrassy RJ, Opas L. Splenic torsion with prune belly syndrome. J Pediatr 98:91-92, 1981.
- Andrassy RJ, Issacs H, Weitzman JJ. Rectal suction biopsy for the diagnosis of Hirschsprung's disease. Ann Surg 193:419-424, 1981.
- Mobogunge T, Andrassy RJ, Mahour GH. The role of a defined formula diet in the prevention of stress-induced gastric mucosal injury in the rat: a comparative study. J Pediatr Surg 16:1036-1039, 1981.
- Todani T, Andrassy RJ. Elemental diet for the pediatric-surgical patient at the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles. Jap J Pediatr Surg 12(9):1267-1275, 1980.
- Pereyra R, Andrassy RJ, Mahour GH. Management of massive hepatic hemangiomas in infants and children: a review of 13 cases. Pediatrics 70:254-258, 1982.
- Lau GE, Andrassy RJ, Hanson BA, Mahour GH. A 30 year review of the management of gallbladder disease at a children's hospital. Am Surg 48, 1983.
- Andrassy RJ, Torma MJ. Learning styles and the prospective surgeon. Am Surg 48:293-296, 1982.
- Westfall CT, Andrassy RJ. Giant ovarian cyst. Case report and review of differential diagnosis in adolescents. Clin Pediatr 21:228-230, 1982.
- Lally K, Andrassy RJ. Delayed retroperitoneal abscess in a child: case report. Milit Med 148:133-134, 1983.
- Scott TE, Fontenelle LJ, Creasy JK, Andrassy RJ. Factors affecting the results of below knee amputations. Milit Med 148:259-260, 1983.
- Countryman D, Norwood S, Andrassy RJ. Mallory-Weiss syndrome in children. South Med 75:1426-1427, 1982.
- Norwood S, Patterson RS, Andrassy RJ. Early experience with the needle catheter jejunostomy. Milit Med 148:344-346, 1983.
- Young W, Andrassy RJ. Conservative management of fingertip amputations in children. Tex Med 9:58-60, 1983.
- Norwood S, Andrassy RJ. Primary hyperparathyroidism in children: a review. Milit Med 148:812-814, 1983.
- Countryman D, Andrassy RJ. Late presentation of congenital posterolateral diaphragmatic hernia: case report. Milit Med 148:362-353, 1983.
- Andrassy RJ, Patterson RP. Defined formula diets in preventing stress-induced gastric mucosal injury. Nutrition and the M.D. 8:(No. 7), 1-2, 1982.
- Patterson RP, Andrassy RJ. Needle-catheter jejunostomy. Am J Nurs 83:(No. 9), 1325-1326, 1983.
- Andrassy RJ, Patterson RP, Ashley J, Mahour GH. Long-term nutritional assessment of patients with esophageal atresia and/or tracheoesophageal fistula. J Pediatr Surg XVIII: (No. 4), 431-441, 1983.
- Lally KP, Andrassy RJ, Foster JE, et al. Evaluation of various nutritional supplements in the prevention of stress-induced gastric ulcers in the rat. SGO 158: (No. 2), 124-128, 1984.
- Countryman D, Norwood S, Torma M, Andrassy RJ. Hepatic artery aneurysm: report of an unusual case and review of the literature. Am Surg 49:51-54, 1983.
- Andrassy RJ, Ricketts RR. Needle catheter jejunostomy. J Pediatr Surg 17:686, 1982 (letter to the editor).
- Patterson RS, Andrassy RJ. Clinical implication and nutritional management of cardiac cachexia. Tex Med 80:45-47, 1984.
- Scott T, Andrassy RJ, Patterson RS. Nutritional benefits of early postoperative jejunal feedings. Surgical Rounds 6: (No. 6), 26-41, 1983.
- Goldthorn JD, Andrassy RJ, Moorhead JD, Mahour GH. Use of pediatric broviac catheters in neonates and infants. Proceedings of the Fifth World Symposium and Pediatric Surgery in Seventh Pan American Congress and Pediatric Surgery. 119, 1980. Presented Acapulco, Mexico, October 15-19, 1980.
- Andrassy RJ. Nutritional management of short bowel syndrome in infancy and childhood. ASPEN Update 7:6-8, 1983.
- Neal R, Andrassy RJ. Fetal surgery in utero. Tex Med 80:40-48, 1984.
- Perkins T, Gleason WA, Andrassy RJ. Diagnosis and management of constipation and encopresis in childhood. Tex Med 81:40-42, 1985.
- Robison P, Andrassy RJ. Heimlich maneuver in children. Tex Med 81:60-61, 1985.
- Perkins T, McFee A, Andrassy RJ. Neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis: an overview. Contemp Surg 25:47-74, 1985.
- Andrassy RJ, Patterson RS, Dubois T, Page CP. Early postoperative nutritional enhancement utilizing enteral branched-chain amino acids by way of a needle catheter jejunostomy. Am J Surg 150:730-734, 1985.
- Andrassy RJ, Patterson RS, Page CP. Early postoperative jejunal feeding: does nitrogen source affect utilization? Nutrit Internat 2:317-321, 1986.
- Andrassy RJ. Controversies in enteral nutrition. Nut Sup Serv 5:25-30, 1985.
- Andrassy RJ. Modified injury severity scale and concurrent steroid therapy: independent correlates of negative nitrogen balance in pediatric trauma. J Pediatr Surg 20:799-801, 1985.
- Kester D, Andrassy RJ, Aust JB. The value and cost effectiveness of abdominal roentenograms in the evaluation of stab wounds to the abdomen. Surg Gynecol Obstet 162:337-339, 1986.
- McCormick DC, Perren JB, Andrassy RJ. Benefits of cyclic parenteral nutrition. Contemp Surg 27:27-32, 1985.
- Andrassy RJ, McCormick DC, Perren JB. Benefits of cyclic parenteral nutrition. Contemp Orthopedic 11:21-25, 1985.
- Norwood S, Andrassy RJ. Nutritional support in patients requiring mechanical ventilation. Contemp Surg 29:45-52, 1986.
- James J, Andrassy RJ. Rhabdomyosarcoma in children. Contemp Surg 30:59-66, 1987.
- Shorr LD, Andrassy RJ. Long-term respiratory status following esophageal atresia repair. Contemp Surg 28:66-70, 1986.
- Kester D, Caplan R, Souba W, Andrassy RJ. Metabolic response to trauma. Contemp Orthopedics 14:53-60, 1987.
- Page CP, Andrassy RJ, Moore EE, et al. Proceedings of the C.P. Symposium Needle Catheter Jejunostomy Feeding. Contemp Surg 27:107-143, 1985.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Andrassy RJ. Efficacy of anomalous pancreatic drainage in choledochal cysts correlates with age of presentation and suggests etiology. Amer Surg 53(11):641-646, 1987.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Andrassy RJ. Management of Henoch-Schonlein purpura and polyarteritis nodosa: management of surgical complications. Texas Med 83:54-58, 1987.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Andrassy RJ. Hourly urine nitrogen values do not reflect 24-hour totals in injured children. Nutrition in Clin Prac 2(5):195-198, 1987
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Andrassy RJ. Steroid administration potentiates urinary nitrogen losses in head-injured children. J Trauma 27:1074-1077, 1987
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Andrassy RJ. "Spot" urine collections do not accurately represent 24-hour sodium excretion in surgically stressed children. Ped Emer Care 3(4):231-234, 1987.
- Andrassy RJ. Enteral elemental nutrition in pediatric surgery. Contemp Surg 28:24-29, 1986.
- Norwood S, Andrassy RJ. Nutritional support in patients requiring mechanical ventilation. Contemp Orthopaedics 13:19-27, 1986.
- Musemeche CA, Fischer RP, Cotler HB, Andrassy RJ. Selective management of pediatric pelvic fractures: a conservative approach. Jour Ped Surg 22:538-540, 1987.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Andrassy RJ. Serum albumin (oncotic pressure) correlates with enteral feeding tolerance in the pediatric surgical patient. Jour Ped Surg 22(7):597-599, July 1987.
- Durr ED, Hunt DR, Roughneen PT, Rowlands BJ, Andrassy RJ. Hypoalbuminemia and gastrointestinal tolerance to enteral feeding in head injured patients. Gastroenter 90:1401, 1986.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Andrassy RJ. Therapy of intractable diarrhea. Jour Ped 110(5):815-816, 1987.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Andrassy RJ. Steroid treatment of head injuries in children: the nutritional consequences. Curr Surg 44:311-313, 1987.
- Ford EG, Lockhard SK, Sullivan MP, Andrassy RJ. Mediastinal mass following chemotherapeutic treatment of malignant disease: recurrent tumor or thymic hyperplasia? Jour Ped Surg 22(12):1155-1159, 1987.
- Andrassy RJ. Enteral feeding: complications and monitoring. Report of the 94th Ross Conference on Pediatric Research. "Enteral Feeding: Scientific Basis and Clinical Applications", pp. 79-87, 1987, Published by Ross Laboratories.
- Andrassy RJ. Invited Comment: Hypermetabolic States and Organ Failure. Jour Ped Ent Nut 12:69S-71S, 1988.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Gibson AE, Andrassy RJ. The pediatric trauma score: accuracy of prediction of injury severity in a single large urban pediatric trauma experience. Contemp Ortho 16(1):35-41, 1988.
- Andrassy RJ. Benign breast lesions in children and adolescents. The Cancer Bulletin 40(1):33-35, 1988.
- Andrassy RJ. Preserving the gut mucosal barrier and enhancing immune response. Contemp Surg 32(2-A):1-7, 1988.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Hlavinka TS, Andrassy RJ. Feeding catheter jejunostomy in neonates with proximal gastrointestinal dysfunction. Nutrition in Clinical Practice 3(3):106-107, 1988.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Gibson AE, Andrassy RJ. The pediatric trauma score accurately predicts injury severity in a single large urban pediatric trauma experience. Contemp Surg 33:43-49, 1988.
- Ford EG, Black CT, Hennessey PJ, Jennings LM, Andrassy RJ. Gamma globulin enhances survival in pneumococcal-challenged asplenic infant rats. Jour Ped Surg 24:815-817, 1989.
- Black CT, Hennessey PT, Ford EG, Andrassy RJ. Protein glycosylation and collagen metabolism in normal and diabetic rats. J Surg Res 47:200-202, 1989.
- Seifert SG, Andrassy RJ. Anabolic steroids: a growing problem and concern for physicians. Contemp Ortho 18:347-352, 1989.
- Andrassy RJ. Enteral nutrition as first-line treatment: the evidence is growing. Nutrition 4(5):400, 1988.
- Hennessey PJ, Black CT, Andrassy RJ. EGF increases short-term type I collagen accumulation during wound healing in diabetic rats. J Ped Surg 25(8)893-897, 1990.
- Hennessey PJ, Ford EG, Black CT, Andrassy RJ. Wound collagenase activity correlates directly with collagen glycosylation in diabetic rats. Jour Ped Surg 25(1):75-78, 1990.
- Hennessey PJ, Black CT, Andrassy RJ. Epidermal growth factor and insulin act synergistically during diabetic healing. Arch Surg 125:926-929, 1990.
- Andrassy RJ, Durr ED. Albumin: use in nutrition and support. Nutrit in Clin Pract 3:226-229, 1988.
- Roughneen PT, Drath DB, Kulkarni AD, Kumar SC, Andrassy RJ, Rowlands BJ. Inflammatory cell function in young rodents with experimental cholestasis: investigations of functional deficits, their etiology and their reversibility. Jour Ped Surg 24:668-673, 1989.
- Winick M, Andrassy RJ, Armstrong D, et al. Task force on nutrition support in AIDS: guidelines for nutrition support in AIDS. Nutrition 5(1):39-46, 1989.
- Roughneen PT, Kulkarni AD, Andrassy RJ, Rowlands BJ. A potential basis for suppressed inflammatory function in pediatric cholestatic hosts. Jour Ped Surg 25:204-207, 1990.
- Kester DE, Caplan R, Souba WW, Andrassy RJ. Metabolic response to trauma. Contemp Surg 31:55-61, 1987.
- Hennessey PJ, Black CT, Andrassy RJ. Growth factors and diabetic wound healing: epidermal growth factor and insulin. Curr Surg 46:285-286, 1989
- Kester DE, Andrassy RJ. Alkali and other chemical injuries to the esophagus in children. Contemp Surg 39:50-55, 1991.
- Andrassy RJ. Surgical nutrition: where we are, where we're heading! Contemp Surg 35:2-4, 1989.
- Andrassy RJ. Practical rewards of enteral feeding for the surgical patient. Contemp Surg 35:20-24, 1989.
- Andrassy RJ, Alverdy J, Hickey MS, Norton J. Nutrition for AIDS patients. Contemp Surg 35:53-79, 1989.
- Hennessey PJ, Black CT, Andrassy RJ. Nonenzymatic glycosylation of immunoglobulin G impairs complement fixation. JPEN 15:60-64, 1991.
- Hennessey PJ, Shinn MN, Nirgiotis JG, Andrassy RJ. Continuous EGF application impairs long-term collagen accumulation during wound healing in rats. J Ped Surg 26(4) 362-366, 1991.
- Hennessey PJ, Nirgiotis JG, Andrassy RJ. The effects of age and various fat/carbohydrate caloric ratios on nitrogen retention and wound healing in rats. J Ped Surg 26(4) 367-373, 1991.
- Black CT, Cangir A, Eftekhari F, Andrassy RJ, Choroszy M. Marked response to preoperative high dose cis-platinum in children with unresectable hepatoblastoma. J Ped Surg 26:1070-1073, 1991.
- Nirgiotis JG, Andrassy RJ. Pheochromocytoma and acute myocardial infarction. South Med Jour 83:1478-1480, 1990.
- Andrassy RJ, Nirgiotis JG, Hennessey PJ. Preserving the gut and enhancing the immune response: the role of enteral nutrition in decreasing sepsis. J Jap Soc Pedi Surg 26:1057-1071, 1990.
- Nirgiotis JG, Hennessey PJ, Andrassy RJ. The effects of an arginine free enteral diet upon wound healing and immune function in the post-surgical rat. J Ped Surg 26:935-941, 1991.
- Andrassy RJ. Nutrition and immunocompromise: an overview. AIDS patient care. Symposia Monitor, June 1990.
- Black CT, Musemeche C, Luck SR, Andrassy RJ. Aggressive excision of pulmonary metastases is warranted in the management of childhood hepatic tumors. J Ped Surg 25:1082-1086, 1991.
- Black CT, Hennessey PJ, Andrassy RJ. Short-term hyperglycemia depresses immunity through nonenzymatic glycosylation of circulating immunoglobulin. Jour Trauma 30(7):830-833, 1989.
- Nirgiotis JG, Hennessey PJ, Pizzini RP, Black CT, Andrassy RJ. Time-dependent effect of insulin and fibroblast growth factor on wound collagen accumulation in diabetic rats. Jour Parenteral and Enteral Nutr 15:195, 1991.
- Mistry DG, Pizzini RP, Andrassy RJ. Protein malnutrition affects wound collagen accumulation in rats. Jour Ped Ent Nut 15:185, 1991.
- McQuiggan MM, Andrassy RJ. Nutrition support of the AIDS patient. Symposia Monitor, Special Issue, Practical information from a recent medical conference, 10:1-8, 1990.
- Nirgiotis J, Hennessey P, Black CT, Andrassy RJ. Aspirin reverses the impairment of complement fixation caused by hyperglycemia. Jour Ped Ent Nut 15:215, 1991.
- Moore F, Feliciano D, Andrassy RJ, et al. Enteral feeding reduces postoperative septic complications. Jour Ped Ent Nut 15:225, 1991.
- Andrassy RJ. Choosing the right diet: amino acid vs. peptide formulas. Symposia Reporter 14(1)1-2, 1990.
- Martindale RG, Andrassy RJ. Elemental nutrition overview. In: Richard J. Andrassy (ed): Nutritional Support Strategies for the Catabolic Patient. Proceedings from a Symposium held at the 1990 American Dietetic Association Meeting. Denver, Colorado, October 16-18, 1990, pp. 2.
- Andrassy RJ. Free amino acids and peptides -- the pros and cons. IN: Richard J. Andrassy (ed): Nutritional Support Strategies For the Catabolic Patient. Proceedings from a Symposium held at the 1990 American Dietetic Association Meeting. Denver, Colorado, October 16-18, 1990, pp. 21.
- Deitch EA, Andrassy RJ, Booth FV, Moore FA. Current concepts in postoperative feeding. Contemp Surg 30:37-55, 1991.
- Ford EG, Jennings LM, Hull S, Andrassy RJ. Clinical comparison of tolerance to elemental or polymeric enteral feedings in the postoperative patient. Amer Coll Nut 11(1):11-16, 1992.
- Nirgiotis JG, Andrassy RJ. Nutritional effects on the gut mucosal barrier and immune response. Contemp Surg 41:17-26, 1992.
- Moore FA, Feliciano DV, Andrassy RJ, et al. Early enteral feeding, compared with parenteral, reduces postoperative septic complications - the results of a meta-analysis. Ann Surg 26(2):172-183, 1992.
- Nigiotis JG, Andrassy RJ. Preserving the gut and enhancing the immune response: the role of enteral nutrition in decreasing sepsis. Contemp Surg 41:17-26, 1992.
- McQuiggan M, Andrassy RJ. Examining key issues in formula selection: the dietitian's role. RD 12(2):1-12, 1992.
- Smith MB, Katz R, Black CT, Cangir AJ, Andrassy RJ. A rational approach to the use of fine needle aspiration biopsy in the evaluation of primary and recurrent neoplasms in children. J Ped Surg 28:1245-1247, 1993.
- Xue H, Smith MB, Strong L, Takahoshi H, Jaffee N, Reed R, Andrassy RJ. Forty year experience with second malignancies after treatment of childhood cancer: analysis of outcome following the development of the second malignancy. J Ped Surg 28:1342-1349, 1993.
- Andrassy RJ, Lally KP. Use of albumin in surgical enteral nutrition. Postgrad Gen Surg 5:30-33, 1993.
- Musemeche CA, Hennings SJ, Baker JL, Pizzini RP, Andrassy RJ. Inflammatory enzyme composition of the neonatal rat intestine: implication for susceptibility to ischemia. J Ped Surg 28:788, 1993.
- Musemeche CA, Pizzini RP, Andrassy RJ. Intestinal ischemia in the newborn: the role of intestinal maturation. J Surg Res 55:595, 1993.
- Weiner G, Lobe T, Hays D, Andrassy RJ, et al. Retroperitoneal node biopsy in paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma. J Ped Surg 29:171-178, 1994.
- Smith MB, Xue H, Takahashi H, Cangir A, Andrassy RJ. Iodine 131 thyroid ablation in female children and adolescents: long-term risk of infertility and birth defects. Ann Surg Oncol 1(2):128-131, 1994.
- Smith MB, Jaffe N, Xue H, Black CT, Takahashi H, Lally KP, Raymond AK, Ayala AG, Andrassy RJ. Excision of pulmonary metastases in pediatric osteosarcoma. Int Cong Lung Cancer 439-444, 1994.
- Kitagawa S, Gleason W, Andrassy RJ. Hypoplastic pancreatic ducts in pediatric pancreatitis. Arch Ped Adol Med 148:654-656, 1994.
- Mistry D, Andrassy RJ, Pizzini R, Parks D. Quantitative analysis of collagen accumulation during protein malnutrition. J Ped Surg 29(7):863-865, 1994.
- Andrassy RJ, Pizzini RP, Nirgiotis JG, Hennessey PJ. Linoleic acid enhances response and survival of septic weanling rats. J Ped Surg 29:371-375, 1994.
- Covington S, Xue H, Takahashi H, Lally KP, Andrassy RJ. Comparison of streptozotocin and alloxan in a diabetic wound healing model. Diabetes Res 23(2):47-53, 1994.
- Corpron CA, Black CT, Singletary SE, Andrassy RJ. Breast cancer in adolescent females. J Pedi Surg 30(2):322-324, 1995.
- Xue H, Horwitz JR, Smith MB, Lally KP, Black CT, Cangir A, Takahashi H, Andrassy RJ. Malignant solid tumors in neonates: a 40-year review. J Pedi Surg 30(4):543-5 45, 1995
- Lobe T, Weiner G, Hays D, Andrassy RJ. Neonatal rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS): the experience of the IRS. J Pedi Surg 29:1167-1170, 1994.
- Andrassy RJ, Hays DM, Raney RB, Wiener ES, et al. Conservative surgical management of vaginal and vulvar pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study II. J Pedi Surg 30(7):1034-1037, 1995.
- Corpron CA, Andrassy RJ, Hays DM, Raney RB, Wiener ES, et al. Conservative management of uterine pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study III and IV pilot. J Pedi Surg 30(7):942-944, 1995.
- Hays DM, Raney RB, Wharam MD, Ragab A, Wiener E, Lobe TE, Andrassy RJ, et al. Children with vesical rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) treated by partial cystectomy, with neoadjuvant or adjuvant chemotherapy with or without radiotherapy. J Pedi Hem/Onc 17:46-52, 1995.
- Jaffe N, Rott EJ, Shiao YW, Maor MH, Smith M, Black T, Andrassy RJ. Is there a safe therapeutic window for delivery of chemotherapy prior to initiation of surgery and/or radiation therapy for treatment of the primary tumor in children with rhabdomyosarcoma? Int J Oncol 7:855-862, 1995.
- Horwitz JR, Black CT, Lally KP, Andrassy RJ. Venovenous bypass as a adjunct for the management of a retrohepatic venous injury in a child. J Trauma: Injury, Infection and Critical Care 39:584-585, 1995.
- Corpron CA, Andrassy RJ, Singh RK, Ellis LM. Treatment of life-threatening hemangiomas of childhood. Cancer Bulletin 47(5):408-411, 1995.
- Corpron CA, Black CT, Herzog CE, Sellin RV, Lally KP, Andrassy RJ. A half century of experience with carcinoid tumors in children. Amer J Surg 170(6):606-608, 1995.
- Andrassy RJ, Corpron CA, Hays DM et al. Extremity sarcoma: an analysis of prognostic factors. IRS III. J Pedi Surg 31(1):191-196, 1996.
- Corpron CA, Andrassy RJ: Surgical management of rhabdomyosarcoma in children. Current Opinion in Pediatrics, 8:283-286,1996.
- Corpron CA, Black CT, Raney RB, Pollock RE, Lally KP, and Andrassy RJ. Malignant fibrous histiocytoma in children. J Pedi Surg 31(8): 1080-1083, 1996.
- Canpolat C, Evans HL, Corpron C, Andrassy RJ, et al. Fibromyxoid sarcoma in a four-year-old child: case report and review of the literature. Med and Pediatric Onc 27:561-564, 1996.
- Corpron CA, Black CT, Ross MI, Herzog CS, Reid HL, Lally KP, Andrassy RJ. Melanoma as a second malignant neoplasm after childhood cancer. Am J Surg 172:459-462, 1996.
- Lobe TE, Wiener E, Andrassy RJ, et al. The argument for conservative, delayed surgery in the management of prostatic rhabdomyosarcoma. J Pedi Surg 31:1084-1087, 1996.
- Andrassy RJ, Wiener E, et al. Thoracic sarcomas in children. Ann Surg 227(2):170-173, 1998.
- Andrassy RJ, Chwals WK. Nutritional support of the pediatric oncology patient. Nutrition 14(1):124-129, 1998.
- Andrassy RJ. Rhabdomyosarcoma. Seminars in Pediatric Surgery 6:17-23, 1997.
- Rich DC, Corpron CA, Smith MB, Black CT, Lally KP, Andrassy RJ. Second malignant neoplasms in children after treatment of soft tissue sarcoma. J Pediatr Surg 32(2):369-372, 1997.
- Hays DM, Donaldson SS, Shimada H, Crist WM, Newton WA, Andrassy RJ, et al. Primary and metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma in the breast: neoplasms of adolescent females, a report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study. Med and Pedi Onc 29:181-189, 1997.
- Allen GS, Cox CS Jr., Moore FA, Duke JH, Andrassy RJ. Pulmonary contusions: are children different? J Amer Coll Surg 185:229-233, 1997.
- Cox CS Jr, Black CT, Duke JH, Cocanour CS, Moore FA, Lally KP, Andrassy RJ. Operative treatment of truncal vascular injuries in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Surg 33(3):462-467, 1998.
- Wiener ES, Andrassy RJ, Lobe TE, Bagwell CE, Breneman JC, Kollath J, Anderson J. Ages 10 to 14 have the highest risk of failure in group I-II paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma (PTRMS) in IRS IV. J Pediatr Surg (Submitted).
- Blakely ML, Lobe TE, Anderson JR, Wiener HS, Andrassy RJ, Crist WM. Why do younger patients (PTS) with perineal rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) fare better? A report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study, June 1998.
- Beech TR, Moss RL, Anderson JA, Mauer HA, Wualman SA, Brenneman JA, Crist WA, Wiener ES, Andrassy RJ. What comprises appropriate therapy for children/adolescents with rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) arising in the abdominal wall? A report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study, June 1998.
- Wolden SL, Anderson JR, Crist WM, Wiener ES, Donaldson SS, Andrassy RJ. Does radiotherapy improve the cure rate of children/adolescents with completely resected rhabdomyosarcoma who are treated with chemotherapy? A report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study, June 1998.
- Blakely ML, Lobe TE, Anderson JR, Donaldson SS, Andrassy RJ, Parham DM, Wharam MD, Qualman SJ, Wiener ES, Grier HE, Crist WM. Does debulking improve survival in advanced-stage retroperitoneal embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS)? J Pedi Surg 34(5):736-742, 1999.
- Andrassy RJ, Wiener ES, Raney RB, et al. Progress in the surgical management of vaginal rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS): a 25-year review from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study Group (IRSG). J Pedi Surg 34(5):731-735, 1999.
- Hays DM, Newton WA, Lobe T, Lawrence W, Andrassy RJ, et al. Local extension of rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) in trunk/extremity sites: a study based on pathology reports of specimens from reexcision procedures. J Clinic Onc (In Press).
- Neville H, Andrassy RJ, Weiner ES, Lobe TE, Anderson J, Crist W. Extremity rhabdomyosarcoma: an analysis of preoperative staging, prognostic factors and outcome from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study (IRS IV). J Pediatr Surg 35(2):317-321, 2000.
- Spunt S, Lobe T, Parham D, Wharam M, Arndt C, Anderson J, Crist W, Schwartz C, Pappo A, Paidas C, ,Wiener E, Andrassy RJ. Aggressive surgery is unwarranted in biliary tract (BT) rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS). J Pediatr Surg (Submitted).
- Arndt CAS, Raney RB, Andrassy RJ, Andersen JR, Donaldson SS, Maurer HM, Crist WM. Is very intensive therapy required for localized rhabdomyosarcoma of the female genital tract? J Clin Onc (In Press).
- Raney RB, Anderson JR, Andrassy RJ, Crist Wm, et al. Soft-tissue sarcomas arising in the diaphragm: a report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study Group (IRSG), 1972-1997. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 22(6):510-514, 2000.
- Wiener ES, Andrassy RJ, Lobe TE, Paidas C, et al. Paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma: lessons learned from the recent IRSG experience. Cancer (In Press).
- Wiener ES, Anderson JR, Ojimba JI, Lobe TE, Paidas C, Andrassy RJ, et al. Adolescents with paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma should have unilateral lymph node dissection for staging. (In Press)
- Neville HL, Lally KP, Corpron C, Sawin R, Andrassy RJ. Adrenal cortical carcinoma in children. (In Press JACS).
- Cocanour CS, Middlebrook M, Lopez RM, Andrassy RJ, Marvin RG, Moore FA. Choledochocaval fistula as a result of a right flank stab wound: case report. J Trauma 48(1):137-139, 2000.
- Andrassy RJ, Okcu MF, Despa S, Raney RB. Synovial sarcoma in children: surgical lessons from a single institution and review of the literature. JACS 192(3):305-313, 2001.
- Herzog CE, Andrassy RJ, Eftekhari F. Childhood cancers: hepatoblastoma. The Oncologist, 5:445-453, 2000.
- Neville HL, Slopis J, Seymour-Dempsey K, Gill BS, Moore B, Lally KP, Andrassy RJ. The role of surgery in children with neurofibromatosis. J of Pediatr Surg 36(1):252-29, 2001.
- Raney RB, Maurer HM, Anderson JR, Andrassy RJ, Donaldson STANDARD SCORE, Qualman SJ, Wharam M, Wiener ES, and Crist WM. The Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study Group (IRSG): Major lessons from the IRS-1 through IRS-IV studies as background for the current IRS-V treatment protocols. (In Press Cancer).
- Neville HL, Raney RB, Andrassy RJ. Multidisciplinary management of pediatric soft-tissue sarcoma. Oncology 14(10):1471-1485, 2000.
- Raney RB, Stoner JA, Walterhouse D, Andrassy RJ, Donaldson SS, Qualman SJ, Crist WM for the Soft-Tissue Sarcoma Committee of the Children’s Oncology Group. UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas. Results of the IRS-IV protocol in 64 patients with localized retroperitoneal/pelvic sarcoma. J Clin Onc (In Press).
- Arndt CA, Donaldson SS, Anderson JR, Andrassy RJ, et al. What constitutes optimal therapy for patients with rhabdomyosarcoma of the female genital tract? Cancer 91(12):2454-2468, 2001.
- Rodeberg D, Paidas C, Lobe T, Brown K, Andrassy R, Crist W, and Wiener G. Surgical principles for children/adolescents with newly diagnosed rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the soft tissue sarcoma committee of the children’s oncology group. J Pedi Surg (In Press.)
- Blakely ML, Beyer E, Nelson J, Jaffe N, and Andrassy RJ. Percent tumor necrosis predicts outcome in children with osteosarcoma. J Pediatr Surg (In Press).
- Raney RB, Maurer HM, Anderson RJ, Andrassy RJ, et al. The Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study Group (IRSG): Major lessons from the IRS-I through IRS-IV studies as background for the current IRS-V treatment protocols. Sarcoma 5:9-15, 2001.
- Feltis BA, King DR, Telander MF, Andrassy RJ, Zimmerman D, Moir CL, LaQuaglia MP, and Telander RL. Medullary carcinoma of the thyroid in children: early diagnosis and prompt surgery lead to cure. J Pediatr Surg (In Press).
- Weiner ES, Anderson JR, Ojimba JI, Lobe TE, Paidas C, Andrassy RJ, Qualman SJ, Donaldson SS, Maurer HM, Link MP, Crist WM. Controversies in the management of paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma: is staging retroperitoneal lymph node dissection necessary for adolescents with resected paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma? Semin Pediatr Surg 10(3): 146-152, 2001.
- Raney RB, Stoner JA, Walterhouse DO, Andrassy RJ, Donaldson SS, Meyer WH, Qualman SJ, Crist WM. Results of treatment of 56 patients with localized retroperitoneal and pelvic rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study-IV, 1991-1997. Pediatr Blood Cancer 42:618-625, 2004.
- Kulkarni AD, Yamauchi K, Hales NW, Ramesh V, Ramesh GT, Sundaresan A, Andrassy RJ, and Pellis NR. Nutrition beyond nutrition: plausibility of immunotrophic nutrition for space travel. Clinical Nutrition 21(3):231-238, 2002.
- Neville HL, Andrassy, RJ, Lally KP, Corpron C, and Ross MI. Lymphatic mapping with sentinel node biopsy in pediatric patients. J Pediatr Surg 35(6):961-964, 2000.
- Rodeberg DA, Paidas CN, Lobe TL, Brown K, Andrassy RJ, et al. Surgical principles for children/adolescents with newly diagnosed rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the Soft Tissue Sarcoma Committee of the Children’s Oncology Group. Sarcoma 6:111-122, 2002.
- Blakely ML, Andrassy RJ, Lobe TE, Raney RB, Wiener ES, Rodeberg DA, Anderson JR, and Crist WM. Prognostic factors and surgical treatment guidelines for children with rhabdomyosarcoma of the perineum or anus. From the Soft-Tissue Sarcoma Committee of the Children’s Oncology Group. J Pediatr Surg (In Press).
- Neville HL, Andrassy RJ, Lobe TE, Bagwell CE, Anderson JR, Womer RB. Preoperative staging, prognostic factors, and outcome for extremity rhabdomyosarcoma: a preliminary report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study IV (1991-1997). J Pediatr Surg 35(2):317-321, 2000.
- Spunt SL, Lobe TE, Pappo AS, Parham DM, Wharam MD Jr., Arndt C, Anderson JR, Crist WM, Paidas C, Wiener E, Andrassy RJ, Schwartz CL. Aggressive surgery is unwarranted for biliary tract rhabdomyosarcoma. J Pediatr Surg 35(2):309-316, 2000.
- Seymour-Dempsey K, and Andrassy RJ. Neurofibromatosis: Implications for the general surgeon. J Amer Coll of Surgeons 195(4):553-563, 2002.
- Andrassy, RJ. Advances in the surgical management of sarcomas in children. Am J of Surg 184:484-491, 2002.
- Blakely ML, Andrassy RJ, Raney RB, Anderson JR, Wiener ES, Rodeberg DA, Paidas CN, Lobe TE, Crist WM; Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Studies I through IV. Prognostic factors and surgical treatment guidelines for children with rhabdomyosarcoma of the perineum or anus: a report of Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Studies I through IV, 1972 through 1997.
J Pediatr Surg; 38(3):347-53, 2003. Review.
- Miller SD and Andrassy RJ. Complications in pediatric surgical oncology. J Am Col Surg 197(5):832-835, 2003.
- Neville H, Corpron C, Blakely ML, and Andrassy RJ. Pediatric neurofibrosarcoma. J Pediatr Surg 38(3):343-346, 2003.
- Harting MT, Blakely ML, Herzog CE, Lally KP, Curley SA, Ajani JA, Andrassy RJ. Treatment issues in pediatric gastric adenocarcinoma. J Pediatr Surg; 39(8):e8-10, 2004.
- Harting MT, Blakely ML, and Andrassy RJ. Surgical management of gynecologic rhabdomyosarcoma. Curr Treat Options Oncol; 5(2):109-18, 2004.
- Raney RB, Stoner JA, Walterhouse DO, Andrassy RJ, Donaldson SS, Laurie F, Meyer WH, Qualman SJ, Crist WM; Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study-IV, 1991-1997.Results of treatment of fifty-six patients with localized retroperitoneal and pelvic rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from The Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study-IV, 1991-1997.Pediatr Blood Cancer; 42(7):618-25, 2004.
- Rodeberg D, Arndt C, Breneman J, Lyden E, Donaldson S, Paidas C, Andrassy R, Meyer W, Wiener E. Characteristics and outcomes of rhabdomyosarcoma patients with isolated lung metastases from IRS-IV.J Pediatr Surg; 40(1):256-62, 2005.
- Okcu MF, Wang RY, Bueso-Ramos C, Schober W, Weidner D, Andrassy R, Blakely M, Russell H, Ozkan A, Kuttesch J, Andreeff M, Chan KW, Ater J. Flow cytometry and fluorescence in situ hybridization to detect residual neuroblastoma cells in bone marrow. Pediatr Blood Cancer; 45(6):787-95, 2005.
- Harting MT, Blakely ML, Jaffe N, Cox CS Jr, Hayes-Jordan A, Benjamin RS, Raymond AK, Andrassy RJ, Lally KP. Long-term survival after aggressive resection of pulmonary metastases among children and adolescents with osteosarcoma. J Pediatr Surg; 41(1):194-9 2006.
- Hayes-Jordan A, Doherty DK, West SD, Raney RB, Blakely ML, Cox CS Jr, Andrassy RJ, Lally KP. Outcome after surgical resection of recurrent rhabdomyosarcoma. J Pediatr Surg; 41(4):633-8, 2006.
- Taga M, Yamauchi K, Odle J, Furian L, Sundaresan A, Ramesh GT, Pellis NR, Andrassy RJ, Kulkarni AD. Melanoma growth and tumorigenicity in models of microgravity. Aviat Space Environ Med; 77(11):1113-6, 2006.
- Harting MT, Blakely ML, Cox CS Jr, Lantin-Hermoso R, Andrassy RJ, Lally KP. Acute hemodynamic decompensation following patent ductus arteriosus ligation in premature infants. J Invest Surg;21(3):133-8, 2008.
Over 250 abstracts published. Available on request.
- Andrassy RJ. Lung tumors in children in Raffensperger. In: Swensen's Pediatric Surgery Text, Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York, 1980.
- Andrassy RJ, Asch MJ. Fluid and electrolyte management. In: Surgical Pediatrics: Nonoperative Care, pp. 127-138, 1979.
- Andrassy RJ, Page CP, Sandler JT. Techniques for delivery of liquid diets: temporary and long-term. In: Clinical Nutrition, Chapter 6, Second Edition, 1986.
- Andrassy RJ. Procedures to provide venous access or support nutrition in pediatric patients with malignancy. In: Pediatric Oncology Surgical Aspects, Grune and Stratton, 1986.
- Andrassy RJ. Gastrointestinal bleeding in Frank Ehrlich. In: Pediatric Emergency Medicine, pp 221-227, Aspen Publishers Inc., Maryland, 1986.
- Black CT, Andrassy RJ. Lung tumors in children in Raffensperger. In: Swensen's Pediatric Surgery Text, ACC, New York, 1989.
- Andrassy RJ. Enteral feeding: complications and monitoring. In: Balistreri WF, Farrell MK (eds.) Enteral Feeding: Scientific Basis and Clinical Applications. Report of the Ninety-Fourth Ross Conference on Pediatric Research., pp. 79-87 Columbus, Ohio, 1988.
- Ford EG, Andrassy RJ. Enteral nutrition. In: VanWay (ed) Handbook of Surgical Nutrition, Chapter 7, pp. 93-105, J.B. Lippincott Company, 1992.
- Musemeche CA, Andrassy RJ. Nutritional failure and therapy. In: Holbrook PR (ed) Textbook of Pediatric Critical Care, pp. 150-154, W. B. Saunders, Washington, 1993.
- Andrassy RJ, Nirgiotis J. Meconium ileus meconium peritonitis and meconium plug syndrome. In: AshCraft and Holder (eds) Pediatric Surgery, pp. 331-340, W.B. Saunders Co., 1993.
- Musemeche CA, Andrassy RJ. Nutrition in the pediatric trauma patient. In: Eichelberger MR (ed) Pediatric Trauma, Chapter 24, pp. 279-285, B.C. Decker Inc., Philadelphia, 1993.
- Andrassy RJ. Role of nutrition in infections. In: Fonkalsrud & Drummel (eds) Infections and Immunologic Disorders in Pediatric Surgery, Chapter 5, pp. 31-42, W.B. Saunders, 1993.
- Andrassy RJ, Lally KP. Use of albumin. In: Surgical Enteral Nutrition in Postgrad Surgery, 4:pp.272-275, 1992.
- Musemeche CA, Andrassy RJ. The use of enteral feedings in trauma and critical illness. In: Baker SB & Baker R (ed), Pediatric Enteral Nutrition, Andover Medical Publishers, 1992.
- Andrassy RJ, Horwitz J. Unique features of pediatric trauma. In: Ford and Andrassy RJ (ed) Evaluation and Management of Pediatric Trauma. W.B. Saunders.
- Horwitz J, Andrassy RJ. Amino acids in children. In: Latifi R (ed) Amino Acids, W. B. Saunders
- Andrassy RJ. Rhabdomyosarcoma. In: Spitz L and Coran A (eds), Rob and Smith’s Operative Surgery, 5th Edition, Chapman and Hall Med, London, 1995.
- Ritchey ML, Andrassy RJ, Kelalis PP. Genitourinary malignancy in children. Pediatric urologic oncology. In: Gillenwater J, Grayhack J, Howards S, and Duckett (eds), Adult and Pediatric Urology, Mosby Year Book, Chicago, 1994 (In Press).
- Horwitz JR, Andrassy RJ. Considerations unique to children. In: Pediatric Trauma: Initial Assessment and Management, Chapter 1, pp. 3-19, W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1994.
- Andrassy RJ, Wharan MD, Raney RB. Genitourinary Rhabdomyosarcoma in Children. In: Raghavan, Scler, Leibel and Lange (eds) Principles and Practice of Genitourinary Oncology Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, 1997.
- Andrassy RJ, Corpron CA, Ritchey MR. Testicular Tumors. In: O=Neill (ed), Textbook of Pediatric Surgery, Yearbook Medical Publishers, (In Press).
- Cox CS, Marvin R, Lally KP, Weber TR, Andrassy RJ. Physiologic problems in the pediatric surgical patient. In: Miller TA (ed), Modern Surgical Care: Physiologic Foundations & Clinical Applications, (Second Edition), Quality Medical Publishing, Inc., St. Louis, Missouri, Chapter 66, pp. 1337-1361, 1998.
- Andrassy RJ. General aspects of pediatric surgical oncology. In: Andrassy RJ (ed.) Pediatric Surgical Oncology, W.B. Saunders, 1997.
- Corpron CA, Andrassy RJ. Melanoma and rare tumors. In: Andrassy RJ (ed.) Pediatric Surgical Oncology, W.B. Saunders, 1997.
- Andrassy RJ. Rhabdomyosarcoma. In: Wiener E (ed.) Seminars in Pediatric Surgery. (In Press)
- Andrassy RJ and Hays DM. General principles of surgery. In: Pizzo PA and Poplack DG (eds.) Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology, 3rd Edition, Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, 1997.
- Horwitz JR, Lally KP, Black CT, Andrassy RJ. Outpatient surgery. In: Moody FG (ed) Outpatient Surgery, W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 102-122, 1999.
- Corpron CA, Andrassy RJ. Molecular and surgical advances in pediatric tumor. IN: Pollock RE (ed) Surgical Oncology, Kluwer Academmic Publishers, Boston, pp 51-69, 1997.
- Andrassy RJ. Diaphragmatic eventration and placation in the pediatric patient. IN: Yang SC and Cameron DE (eds) Current Therapy in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Mosby, Philadelphia, pp 93-94, 2004.
- Ford GE, Andrassy RJ (eds) Management of Pediatric Trauma. W.B. Saunders, 1994.
- Andrassy RJ (ed.) Pediatric Surgical Oncology, W.B. Saunders, 1997.
Over 400 national and international lectures.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- Richard J. Andrassy, MD
- Denton A. Cooley, M.D. Chair in Surgery, Professor and Chairman of the Department of Surgery, Associate Dean for Clinical Operations
- Department of Surgery
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
6431 Fannin Street, MSB 4.164
Houston, Texas 77030
phone: (713) 500-7200
fax: (713) 500-7213
Sr. Executive Assistant: