Department of Surgery,
Division of Acute Care Surgery
Associate Professor- Research
Department of Surgery
Division of Acute Care Surgery
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
Center for Translational Injury Research
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, Honors Program, Journalism Major 1969-70
Western Illinois University, Macomb, Illinois, B.S., Medical Technology, 1970-74.
Internship in Medical Technology, Grant Hospital of Chicago, Illinois. 1973-74, Certified, M.T. American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP)
Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS), National Laboratory Certification Agency
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, M.S., Medical Technology/Microbiology 1979-80
Thesis: The Use of Guidelines in Evaluating the Effectiveness of Clinical Laboratory Improvement
Programs: A Meta-Analysis
Advisor: Sarah A. Wise, Ph.D.
The University of Texas School of Public Health at Houston, Ph.D., Epidemiology, 1981-88
Dissertation: The Relationship Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Reproductive Function
Advisor: J. Fred Annegers, Ph.D.
New England Epidemiology Institute, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Summer Session, 1981 3-week Immersion Courses in Advanced Epidemiology Methods (Ken Rothman), Research Design and Statistical Analysis (David Kleinbaum and Lawrence Kupper), Reproductive Epidemiology (Jennifer Kelsey and Gertrude Berkowitz), Cancer Epidemiology (Noel Weiss), Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology (Ralph Paffenbarger)
Pre-Doctoral Fellowship: Mayo Clinic Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Rochester, MN,
Advisor: Leonard T. Kurland, M.D., DrPH
Other advanced training:
Continuing education courses and workshops in epidemiology methods, biostatistics (including Bayesian and algorithmic/machine-learning-based modeling), human genetics, molecular biology/epidemiology, occupational and environmental epidemiology, cancer epidemiology/carcinogenesis, autoimmune diseases, neurologic diseases, infectious diseases, complexity theory, health promotion, health-services/outcomes research, veterans’ health, and U.S./Mexico Border health issues
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Faculty Associate, 1982 to 1986
Baylor College of Medicine, Assistant Professor, 1988 to 1997, primary-Department of Medicine; joint-Department of Pediatrics
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Adjunct Assistant Professor, 1989 to 1997
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Assistant Professor, Epidemiology Discipline and Occupational and Environmental Health Module, 1997 to 2002 non-tenure track; 2002 tenure-track
Member of the Southwest Center for Occupational and Environmental Health, 1997 to 2002
School of Rural Public Health, Texas A&M Health Science Center, Associate Professor, 2002 to 2007
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, Adjunct Associate Professor, 2002 to 2007
Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A&M Health Science Center, Adjunct Associate Professor, 2002 to 2007
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences, Senior Epidemiologist and Associate Professor, 2007 to present
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Center for Clinical Research and Evidence-Based Medicine, Associate Professor, 2007 to present
The University of Texas School of Public Health, Associate Professor, Division of Epidemiology and Disease Control, 2008 to present
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, 2008 to present
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, 2009 to present
Other Non-academic Positions
- LDS Hospital Hematology Laboratory, Salt Lake City, Utah, Medical Technologist, 1974-1975
- Mountain View Hospital, Payson, Utah, Microbiologist and Infection Control Coordinator, 1975-76
- University of Utah Medical Center Clinical Laboratory, Salt Lake City, Utah, Microbiologist, 1976-77
- Utah State Department of Health, Laboratory Improvement Section, Salt Lake City, Utah, Training Coordinator and Technical Consultant under contract with the Centers for Disease Control, 1977-80
- VA Medical Center, Research Epidemiologist, 1993 to 1997
Honors and Awards
National Merit Scholarship Nomination, 1968.
Illinois State Scholarship Award, 1969.
Bureau of Health Manpower Traineeship, University of Utah, 1979-80.
Society for Epidemiologic Research Student Workshop Competition, 1981.
Arthritis Foundation Fellowship, 1982-84.
Houston VAMC Outstanding Performance Awards, 1994 and 1995.
Fellowship, Mexican American and U.S. Latino Research Center, Texas A&M University, 2006
Appointed as a member of the Institute of Medicine/National Academy of Sciences (IOM) Committee to Review Adverse Effects of Vaccines, 2009
Appointed as Chair of the Evaluation Subcommittee, Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Design (BERD) Key Functions Committee, NIH/National Center for Research Resources (NCRR), Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA) Consortium, 2009
Appointed as a member of the CTSA BERD Operations Committee, NIH/NCRR CTSA National Consortium, 2009
Elected Secretary, Association of Clinical and Translational Statisticians, 2009
Elected Fellow, American College of Epidemiology, 2009
Epidemiology methods, clinical/translational research design and analysis, biostatistics, gene-environment and other complex interactions among etiologic factors in cancer and other chronic disease, records linkage, meta-analysis, occupational, injury and environmental epidemiology, reproductive health, veterans' health, migrant farmworker health, autoimmune disease, Rett syndrome (autism spectrum disorders)
Invited lectures, presentations
- The Relationship Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Reproductive Function, International Round Table Conference on Oral Contraceptives and the Risk of Rheumatoid Arthritis, Leiden, the Netherlands, March 20-21 1989.
- Survival in a Large Cohort of U.S. Girls and Women with Rett Syndrome, 2nd International Conference on Rett Syndrome Research, Orlando, Florida, October 6-10, 1992.
- The Epidemiology of Rett Syndrome, World Congress on Rett Syndrome, Antwerp, Belgium, October 7-11, 1993.
- What Do We Know About the Etiology of Neural Tube Defects? Colloquium, University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, October 31, 1996.
- National Registry of Women Veterans: Definitive Resource for Outreach. Women Veterans Coordinators Conference, Department of Veterans Affairs, San Antonio, Texas May 28, 1997.
- Reproductive health, serum dioxin and P450 genes in Vietnam veterans. U.S. EPA National Center for Environmental Research Human Health Symposium – A STAR Progress Review Workshop. Washington, D.C. April 9 2003.
- Environmental Toxins and Reproductive Health Effects. Grand Rounds, Texas Public Health Training Center, Texas Department of Health and Human Services and Texas Association of Local Health Officials. December 12, 2007.
- Communicating Epidemiology Research Results Effectively to Intended Audiences. CDC Division of Reproductive Health (DRH) and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology Conference, Pre-conference Training. Tampa, Florida. December 7-8, 2009.
- Gardner B, del Junco D, Fenn J, and Hengesbaugh J. Comparison of direct wet mount and trichrome staining techniques for detecting Entamoeba species trophozoites in stools. J Clin Micro 1980;12:656-8.
- Parochka J, Bennett N, del Junco D, Dunmeyer S, Ehrmeyer S, Hawn L, Knapp D, and McCoy C. American Society for Medical Technology position paper: Continuing education and the relationship to the profession. ERIC Documents 1981:ED 209985. HE 014 529.
- del Junco DJ, Luthra HS, Annegers JF, Worthington JW, and Kurland LT. The familial aggregation of rheumatoid arthritis and its relationship to the HLA-DR4 association. Am J Epidemiol 1984;119:813-29.
- del Junco DJ, Annegers JF, Luthra HS, Coulam CB, and Kurland LT. Do oral contraceptives prevent rheumatoid arthritis? JAMA 1985;254:1938-41.
- del Junco DJ. The association of autoimmune conditions with recurrent intrauterine death. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1986;29:959-75.
- del Junco DJ, Annegers JF, Coulam CB, Luthra HS. The relationship between rheumatoid arthritis and reproductive function. Br J Rheumatol 1989;28 Suppl 1:33; abstract with discussion 42-5
- Greenberg F, del Junco D, Weyland B, Faucett A, Schmidt D, Rose E, Alpert E. The effect of gestational age on the detection rate of Down syndrome by maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein screening. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1991 165:1391-3.
- del Junco DJ, Annegers JF. Efficacy of immunotherapy for unexplained recurrent spontaneous abortion: The role of guidelines and meta analysis. Am J Reprod Immunol. 1992 27:94-6.
- Schultz RJ, Glaze DG, Motil KJ, Armstrong DD, del Junco DJ, Hubbard C, Percy AK. Pattern of growth failure in Rett syndrome. Am J Dis Child, 1993 147:633-37.
- Percy AK, Glaze DG, Schultz RJ, Zoghbi HY, Williamson D, Frost JD, Jr., Jankovic JJ, del Junco D, Skender M, Waring S, Myer EC. Rett syndrome: Controlled study of an oral opiate antagonist, Naltrexone. Ann Neurol 1994;35:464-70.
- Kozinetz C, Skender M, MacNaughton N, del Junco D, Almes MJ, Schultz R, Glaze D, Percy A. Population-based registries using multi-disciplinary reporters: A method for the study of pediatric neurologic disorders. J Clin Epidemiol 1995;48:1069-76.
- Skender ML, Goodrick GK, del Junco DJ, Foreyt JP, Reeves RS, Darnell L, Gotto AM. Comparison of long-term weight loss trends in three behavioral treatments of obesity: Diet only, exercise only, and the combination of diet and exercise. J Am Dietetic Association 1996 96:342-6.
- Kozinetz CA, Skender ML, MacNaughton NL, del Junco DJ, Yamamura Y. Rett syndrome: An analysis using Sartwell’s incubation period model. J Child Neurol 1997 12:361-364.
- Ashton CM, del Junco DJ, Souchek J, Wray NP, Mansyur CL. The association between the quality of inpatient care and early readmission: A meta-analysis of the evidence. Medical Care 1997 35:1044-59.
- del Junco DJ. More breast implant prose and cons: Contractures, confounding and the controversy continues. JAMA 1997 277:1643-44.
- Geraci JM, Ashton CM, Kuykendall, Johnson ML, Souchek J, del Junco D, Wray NP. The association of quality of care and occurrence of in-hospital treatment-related complications. Medical Care 1999 37:140-148.
- Vernon SW, Lairson DR, del Junco DJ, Perz C, Chan W, Rakowski W, Bastian L. Early detection of breast cancer among women veterans: A study to determine the effectiveness and efficiency of new methods to improve compliance with mammography screening guidelines. Oncology Economics.2000 1:32-37 (invited).
- Garzon AM, Sweeney A, del Junco D, Albanese RA. A case-control study of birth defects and cancer. Organohalogen Compounds 2000 48:167-170.
- del Junco D, Kadlubar F, Vernon S, Stancel G, Sweeney A, Wu X, Lang N, Schecter A, Garzon A, Wheeler T. Detecting an association between prostate cancer occurrence and TCDD exposure in the U.S. Vietnam veteran population. Organohalogen Compounds 2000 48:95-98.
- Ho VT, Mirza NQ, del Junco D, Okamura T, Przepiorka D. The effect of hematopoietic growth factors on the risk of graft-vs-host disease after allogeneic hematopoetic stem cell transplantation: A meta analysis. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2003 32:771-775.
- Etheredge AJ, Christensen K, del Junco D, Murray JC, Mitchell LE. Evaluation of two methods for assessing gene-environment interactions using data from the Danish case-control study of facial clefts. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 2005 73(8):541-546.
- Cooper SP, Burau KE, Frankowski R, Shipp EM, del Junco DJ, Whitworth RE, Sweeney AM, MacNaughton N, Weller NF, Hanis CL. A cohort study of injuries in migrant farm worker families in South Texas. Ann Epidemiol 2006 16(4):313-320.
- Cooper CJ, Cooper SP, del Junco DJ, Shipp EM, Whitworth R, Cooper SR. Web-based data collection: Detailed methods of a questionnaire and data gathering tool. Epidemiol Perspect Innov 2006 Jan 4;3:1.
- Rivera S, Vernon SW, Tiro JA, Coan S, del Junco D, Chan W, Coker A. Test-retest reliability of self-reported mammography in women veterans. Prev Med 2006 42(4):320-326.
- Shipp EM, Cooper SP, del Junco DJ, Delclos GL, Burau KD, Tortolero S. Severe back pain among farmworker high school students from Starr County, Texas: baseline results. Ann Epidemiol 2007 17(2):132-41.
- Shipp EM, Cooper SP, del Junco DJ, Bolin JN, Whitworth RE, Cooper CJ. Pesticide safety training among farmworker adolescents from Starr County, Texas. J Agric Saf Health 2007 13(3):311-21.
- del Junco DJ, Vernon SW, Coan SP, Tiro JA, Bastian LA, Savas LS, Perz CA, Lairson DR, Chan W, Warrick C, McQueen A, Rakowski W. Promoting regular mammography screening: I. A systematic assessment of validity in a randomized trial. JNCI 2008 100:333-346.
- Vernon SW, del Junco DJ, Tiro JA, Coan SP, Perz CA, Bastian LA, Rakowski W, Chan W, Lairson DR, McQueen A, Fernandez ME, Warrick C, Halder A, DiClemente C. Promoting regular mammography screening: II. Results from a randomized controlled trial in U.S. women veterans. JNCI 2008 100:347-358.
- Sweeny A, Symanksi E, del Junco D. Commentary: Our Response to Terrell et al’s “Comment on: ‘The influence of age at exposure to PBBs on birth outcomes’” [Environ Res. 2007 Nov;105(3):370-9]. Environ Res 2008 108:121-126.
- Savas LS, del Junco DJ, Vernon SW, Bastian LA Mortality Ascertainment of Women Veterans: A Comparison of Sources of Vital Status Information, 1979-2002. Medical Care 2009 47(1):125-8.
- Shipp EM, Cooper SP, del Junco DJ, Delclos GL, Burau KD, Tortolero S, Whitworth RE. Chronic back pain and associated work and non-work variables among farmworkers from Starr County, Texas. J Agromedicine 2009 14(1):22-32.
- Shah DJ, Shipp EM, Cooper SP, Huber JC, del Junco DJ, Rene AA, Moore JS. Hand problems in migrant farmworkers. J Agric Saf Health 2009 15(2):157-69.
- Assassi S, del Junco D, Sutter K, McNearney TA, Reveille JD, Karnavas A, Gourh P, Estrada-Martin RM, Fischbach M, Arnett FC, Mayes MD. Clinical and genetic factors predictive of mortality in early systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Care & Research 2009 61(10):1403-11.
- del Junco DJ, Vernon SW, Coan SP. Response to McCambridge et al.’s Comment on “Promoting Mammography Screening I: A Systematic Assessment of Validity in a Randomized Trial.” JNCI 2009 101(14):1030.
- Association of Schools of Public Health. Certified in Public Health: Study Guide. del Junco DJ,
contributing author to Chapter C. Epidemiology. 2008. ASPH, Washington D.C.
- Sweeney AM, del Junco DJ. Chapter 23. Application of biologic markers in the epidemiology of .
reproduction. In Perera FP and Schulte PA, Eds. Molecular Epidemiology: Principles and Practices,
2nd Edition. Due to be published Fall, 2009. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
Letters to the editor
- del Junco DJ, and del Junco GW. Gastric cancer after gastric operations. New Engl J Med 1984;310:1192.
- del Junco DJ, Annegers JF. Progress against cancer? New Engl J Med 1986;315:964-65.
- del Junco DJ, Annegers JF. Reply to Hazes et al. Do oral contraceptives prevent rheumatoid arthritis? JAMA 1986;256:215-16.
- Greenberg F, del Junco D, Alpert E. Reply to Waller et al. Gestational age at maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein screening and the detection of Down syndrome. 1990 Am J Hum Genet 47:581-582.
- del Junco D, Schmidt D, Rose E, Greenberg F. Reply to Cuckle. Gestational age and maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein in screening for Down syndrome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1992 167:92.
Didactic course work
1. Courses taught at Baylor College of Medicine
"Clinical Epidemiology," for the Endocrinology Fellows in the Department of Medicine, Spring semester, 1995.
2. Courses or guest lectures taught at the University of Texas School of Public Health
a. Co-taught "Advanced Epidemiology Methods," Fall 1990 and Spring 1991 with Dr. J. Fred Annegers
b. "Meta analysis in cancer epidemiology, "2 hour guest lectures, August 1992, 1994
c. "Advanced epidemiology methods: Meta analysis" 2 hours each week for 3 weeks, Spring semester 1992
d. Meta analysis lecture in advanced epidemiology methods course Spring 1998, Fall 1999.
e. Guest lectured in Cancer Epidemiology and Advanced Epidemiology I, Spring and Summer, 1999
f. Co-taught "Molecular Epidemiology" Fall 1999 with Dr. Xifeng Wu
g. Meta analysis in "Advanced Epidemiology III," Fall, 1999, Guest lecturer
h. Guest lectured in Applied Epidemiology, Spring 1999, San Antonio Satellite
i. "Introduction to Environmental Sciences" Guest lecturer, Dallas UTSPH Satellite Jan 31, 2000
j. Co-taught "Advanced Epidemiology I," Fall, 2000 with Dr. Karen Goodman
k. Lead Instructor, "Advanced Epidemiology II," Spring, 2001, Dr. Karen Goodman, Co-instructor
l. Co-instructor, "Advanced Epidemiology I," Fall 2001, Dr. Steve Waring, Lead Instructor
m. Co-instructor, "Molecular Epidemiology," Spring 2002, Dr. Xifeng Wu and Corinne Aragaki, Lead-instructors
n. Guest lectured in “Environmental Mutagenesis and Carcinogenesis,” Spring 2002
o. Numerous independent studies in Epidemiology for M.S. and Ph.D. students 1997 to 2002
p. Supervisor of 4 MPH student practica 2002
3. Courses taught at the School of Rural Public Health, Texas A&M University Systems Health Science Center
a. Epidemiology Methods I, Fall Semester 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, Spring 2006 (taught in Austin, TX for Austin DE cohort of MPH students), Fall 2006, instructor
b. Fundamentals of Epidemiology, 2003, 2004, 2005 Spring and Fall, 2006 (2) Spring, 6 total guest lectures; Spring 2007 Co-instructor with Dr. Anne Sweeney
c. Seminars in Environmental Toxicology, Spring Semester 2003, 1 guest lecture
d. Reproductive Epidemiology, Fall 2003, 2005, 2 guest lectures
e. Directed Study in molecular epidemiology: Analee Etheredge and Linda Holifield, Summer and Fall 2003; Assisted with Directed Study in Genetic Epidemiology for Jennifer Kornosky, Spring 2005
4. Courses taught at UTHSC-H Medical School for the Center for Clinical Research and Evidence-Based Medicine
a. Guest lecturer, Clinical Epidemiology, Fall Semester 2007 (lecture: Genetic and Molecular Epidemiology)
b. Co-instructor with Drs. Charles Miller III and Donald Molony, Advanced Epidemiology, Spring Semester 2008
c. Co-instructor with Dr. Kathleen Kennedy, Clinical Research Design Workshop, Spring Semester 2008
d. Guest lecturer, Using Research to Inform Health Care Policy and Practice, Fall Semester 2009 (lecture: Confounding, Interaction and Risk Adjustment)
e. Guest lecturer, Clinical Epidemiology, Fall Semester 2009 (lecture: Genetic and Molecular Epidemiology)
5. Course taught by invitation: “Communicating Epidemiology Research Results Effectively to Intended Audiences” for the joint Association of Maternal and Child Health Program and Centers for Disease Control MCH-Epi Conference in Tampa, FL, December 7-8, 2009.
Service on Student Advisory Committees:
1. UTSPH Students who completed theses and graduated:
a. 3 M.S. in Epidemiology: Lara Staub; Hui Zhao; Michelle McHugh
b. 1 M.S. in Biometry: Nan Earle;
c. 3 MPH: Jawaria Gilani, Jalena Jakovljevic, Laurens Holmes.
d. 4 Ph.D. in Epidemiology : Donna White (’02), Kirk Wilhelmus (’01), Lara Staub Savas (’06), Erin Fox (’07)
2. SRPH, TAMUS-HSC graduates:
a. MSPH in Epidemiology: Analee Etheredge - graduated May ’04 (Advisor)
Douglas Ruhl – graduated Aug ’06 (Advisor and Thesis supervisor)
b. MPH with concentration in Epidemiology: Erin Sauber – Aug ’04
Linda Holifield – Dec ‘04
Kate Barron – May ‘05
Setor Lotsu – May ‘05
Shyam Narayana – May ‘05
Jeff Barstad – Dec ‘05
Trupti Kapatkar – Dec ‘05
Angie Wade – Dec ‘05
Rebecca Burson – May ‘06
Kacey Russell – May ‘07
Shannon Wiggins – May ‘07
Nimisha Bhakta – August ‘07
4. SRPH, TAMUS-HSC students in 2007:
5 MPH students (3 first-year, 2 second-year)
1 MSPH student (first-year)
5. UTHSC-H 2008 to present:
Mentoring post-doctoral students: Lara Staub, Ph.D. – UTSPH post-doc
Erin Fox, Ph.D. – proposed junior investigator on an application for a UTHSC/CCTS T2 Multidisciplinary Research Program award (Co-PIs, Douglas Boyd, Sharon Cooper, Deborah del Junco)
Thesis committee member, M.S. Biostatistics Sartaj Alam – December 2009 UTSPH
1. Served on Baylor College of Medicine's Faculty Awards and Fellowship Committee 1995-1998
2. Member, Texas Cancer Registry Data Workgroup 1999 to present. Chair, Data Utilization Subcommittee
3. Elected to UTHSC-H Faculty Awards Committee 1999-2000, re-elected 2000-2001.
6. Served on Occupational and Environmental Health Traineeship/Fellowship Awards Committee, 1999.
7. Organized the following UTSPH Colloquia:
a. Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, "Science and Politics," January 1999 (with Dr. Anne Sweeney)
b. Robert Bilgrad, NCHS, "The National Death Index and Public Health Research." March 1999.
c. C. Robert Cloninger, "Psychobiology and the Genetics of Human Personality." November 29, 1999.
8. Member, Advisory Committee for the UTSPH Chapter of Delta Omega, the national honor society for graduate schools of public health (supported by ASPH) 2000 to 2002.
9. Member, Search Committee for 2 Environmental Sciences UTSPH Faculty Positions in Houston, September
2001 to August 2002.
10. Member, SRPH-TAMUS/HSC Doctoral Committee, September 2002 to 2007.
11. Member, Search Committee for 2 Biostatistics SRPH-TAMUS/HSC Faculty Positions, 2002-03.
12. Member, TAMU-HSC Committee to establish an MS professional degree in genetic counseling, 2002-04.
13. Co-organized with Dr. Anne Sweeney a seminar given 5-22-2003 at the TAMU College of Veterinary Medicine and sponsored by SRPH-TAMUS/HSC by Dr. Olaf Päpke, Director of Eurofins/Ergo Laboratories, Hamburg Germany, entitled “Human Exposure to Dioxins, dioxin-like PCBs, and PBDEs.”
14. Member, SRPH Prevention Research Center (PRC) Executive Board, 2004 to 2007.
15. Member, Coordinating Committee, 55th Annual Meeting of the Southwest Conference on Diseases in Nature Transmissible to Man, June 1-3, 2005, Hilton Hotel, College Station, Texas.
16. Moderator, “Pandemic Influenza” session, 55th Annual Meeting of the Southwest Conference on Diseases in Nature Transmissible to Man, Thursday, June 2nd, 2005 Hilton, Hotel, College Station, Texas
17. Elected Member, TAMUS/HSC Faculty Senate, 2005 to 2007.
18. Member, TAMUS/HSC Faculty Senate Speaker Series Subcommittee, 2006 to 2007
19. Member, UTHSC-H Scientific Advisory Committee, 2008 to present
20. Member, UTHSC-H CCTS/CRU Scientific Partners Advancing Research Kick-off (SPARK) Committee
21. Member, UTHSC-H CCTS Institutional Data and Safety Monitoring Board, 2008 to present
22. Member, UTHSC-H Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects (CPHS, IRB), 2008 to present
23. Appointed to UTHSC-H/MDACC Steering Committee to oversee the MS/PhD Program with Specialized Training Opportunities in Patient-Based Biological Research at the UTHSC-H Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and to develop a new MS/Ph.D. program in Clinical and Translational Sciences.
Community Service Scientific Lectures
- del Junco DJ. "Statistics and Epidemiology for Cancer Registrars," to the Texas Tumor Registrars
Association 19th Annual Meeting, October 24, 1991
- del Junco DJ. “Epidemiology of Rett syndrome” at Sanjacinto College/Clear Lake to Developmental
Health Students, October 20, 1994.
- del Junco DJ. "Sleuthing the mysteries of human disease" for middle school girls at the "Expanding Your Horizons" Math and Science Career Workshop, HISD Rice Lab School, Sponsored by University Women's Association, April, 1995
- Vernon SW, del Junco DJ. "Breast Cancer Screening in Women Veterans." Interview with J. P. Pritchard, Houston Hotline KTRH News Radio AM 740. November 12, 1999.
Location & Contact
6431 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
- Deborah J. del Junco, PhD
Associate Professor- Research Department of Surgery
Division of Acute Care Surgery
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
Center for Translational Injury Research
6410 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030